Jumat, 19 April 2013

What is the largest memory external hard drive available to purchase?

Q. What is the largest memory external hard drive available to purchase?
BQ: What is the largest memory hard drive ever made?

A. Right now, 3 TB is the largest capacity mechanical drive available commercially http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148847

BQ: Doesn't matter. You use some sort of array, like a JBOD or RAID (well, a JBOD isn't an array per se, but still - with Drivebender it can be) to get what you need.


How many external hard drives do websites use?
Q. How many external hard drives do websites use to back up there files? Do they only use one?

A. First of all, web hosting companies frequently host many, many sites. I would imagine that a big hosting company like GoDaddy hosts hundreds of thousands of sites of various sizes.

Web hosting companies use racks of servers, and each server might have multiple drives installed. One drive might be just for the operating system, and the other drives might hold the content. The number of drives in a server will depend on how many it can fit.

Many hosts also use external drives, but they're usually set up in some kind of NAS (network attached storage). These drives can also be configured in a RAID (redundant array of independent/inexpensive disks), which is used for file storage/backup and redundancy.

How many physical drives and devices are used depends on the amount of data they hold.


Why/How should I setup my external drive with raid?
Q. I wanted to know what raid is, is it faster than normal drives, and how I could set it up on my External Hard Drive?

I would like to setup my external hard drive with raid because I heard it was much faster copying files. Also, this drive is mainly for playing games, so would there be any difference in types of raid?

Thanks.
If I need two drives, could I just use two partitions?

A. Wikipedia probably explains it better than I do, so I'll put that at the bottom, but I'll try to explain it myself first. RAID (Redundant Array of Independant Disks) combines multiple drives (meaning if you're gunna do this, you'll need 2) to increase performance. In RAID 0 (the most common for users doing it for speed), there's 2 drives, and whenever data is written to them, it puts half the file on each at the same time, increasing the speed about doubling the data transfer rate, though not speeding up games by much, only with load times. However, since each file is split in half between them, if one crashes, then all your data is lost, though it isn't very likely for a hard drive to crash.

Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

1 komentar: